This modular training course sees each module focus on a certain topic, lasting for one day.
The ten module topics are:
- Module 1 - Thermodynamics and Steam Generation (M1)
- Module 2 - Combustion Chemistry and Boiler Firing Theory (M2)
- Module 3 - Boilers Steam Raising Plant and Heat Transfer (M3)
- Module 4 - Feed Water Systems and Boiler Water Chemistry (M4)
- Module 5 - Steam Turbines and Associated Plant and Systems (M5)
- Module 6 - Electrical Theory, Alternators and Electrical Systems (M6)
- Module 7 - Control and Instrumentation (M7)
- Module 8 - Auxiliary Systems; Plant Operation and Safety Systems (M8)
- Module 9 - Plant Efficiency; Internal Combustion Engines: Gas Turbines and Reciprocating Engines (M9)
- Module 10 - Energy and Environment (M10)
A short exam will be held at the end of each module to assess the information retention of the candidates. Candidates who successfully pass all ten short exams will be awarded the City and Guilds certificate in Principles and Operation of Small Thermal Plant for Heat and Power Production (Part 1).